Top 12 Disability Inclusive Employer Practices
Prioritize these top practices to make your recruitment and hiring practices more disability inclusive.
- Make sure job postings are clear and only contain what you really need.
- Familiarize yourself with the duty to accommodate as an employer.
- Be flexible with scheduling or shift length to support these common accommodation requests.
- Learn how to access funding to cover accommodations if cost is an issue.
- Offer short term disability insurance to employees. Or get familiar with the medical EI process so you can support employees who need to apply.
- Educate yourself about how bias gets in the way of disability inclusion.
- Build relationships with disability employment service organizations to help you source candidates with disabilities.
- Give staff involved in hiring access to free disability awareness training.
- Be open to adapted interviews like working interviews and job shadowing.
- Invest in an Employee Assistance Program for your employees.
- Get managers Mental Health First Aid training.
- Ensure all employees have equal opportunity for career development.
This resource was developed by Open Door Group and Presidents Group as part of the Disability Inclusive Self-Assessment. Start your assessment today at disabilityinclusion.ca.