Who We Are
From the back of a surf shop parking lot in Tofino, British Columbia emerged a concept – to infuse the experiences of our travels with our West Coast roots and bring them to life in our beachside surf town and beyond.
In addition to our original location in Tofino, we have seven locations in Vancouver including three food trucks, a location in Victoria.
From our past to our present, we are successful because we serve high quality creative food, create inspired casual space and have teams made up of unique individuals.
Why We Are Involved
At Tacofino we want to create a positive workplace that is representative of our communities and where people want to stay and grow. Each of our locations is unique, with a distinct design and creative menu.
It makes sense for us that each person we hire is a unique individual and is as diverse as our locations.
Distinction and Awards
- Work BC – Inclusive Workplace Appreciation Award 2018
- Untapped Workplace Inclusion Awards Nominee 2016
- Partner with Disability Employment Service Organizations who recommend candidates for all our job postings.
- Provide internship opportunities for Vancouver Community College’s Food Service Careers program for adults with cognitive disabilities.
- Intentional about advertising our inclusive environment on our job postings.
- Have an HR person who specializes in diversity and inclusion, including the employment of people with disabilities.
- Contact available for accommodation requests during the application process.
- Accommodation and return to work program in place to assess individual needs and accommodate as needed.
- Regular engagement surveys that ask whether our people believe Tacofino to be a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Benefits available to all team members who work over 25 hours.
- Mental health resources available to all team members and their immediate family.
- Interview guides that address unconscious bias are available to all people leaders.
- On-boarding process communicates our values in diversity and inclusion.
- Committed to creating a safe and healthy workplace and create accountability around our values of respecting each other.
- Leadership training has a strong emphasis on individuality, and objective decision making.
- Encourage an environment of disclosure that allows people to bring their whole self to work.
- Partnered with VCC’s Food Service Program for adults with cognitive disabilities in the culinary skills program and hired 7 graduates.
- Launched an Employee and Family Assistance Program that is available from point of hire.
- Increased employee retention in part due to an intentional focus on hiring and supporting people with disabilities.