British Columbia Automobile Association
Eric Hopkins, President & CEO
Eric is a serial entrepreneur, marketer, operator and now President & CEO at British Columbia Automobile Association.
Prior to serving as CEO, Eric joined BCAA to create the Strategic Ventures team which provides visibility into the evolving needs of consumers, and strategies to address these future requirements; he has led core legacy business lines like BCAA Roadside Assistance and select insurance lines; and led the initial foray into Digital reinvention as Chief Digital Officer.
He conceptualized and led the launch of Evo Car Share, which in just five years has transformed metro Vancouver’s mobility landscape. As well as launched BCAA Auto Service Centres, restructured Insurance business lines, and oversaw the implementation of human-centre design in product creation.
Before moving to BCAA, Eric was a key member of The Coca-Cola Company marketing and innovation teams for over 10 years and spent a further two years with The Globe and Mail.
Who We Are
BCAA is a Member driven organization whose core purpose is: “Together we mobilize B.C. to shape a brighter future for all.” Today, we serve 1 in 3 B.C. households with industry-leading products within the sectors of Protection, Mobility, and Membership including home, car and travel insurance, Evo Car Share, roadside assistance and full auto repair at BCAA’s Auto Service Centres. BCAA also has a long history of community involvement, support, and giving back in ways that improve the lives of British Columbians and communities throughout the province.
Why We Are Involved
A key strategic focus for BCAA is strengthening our foundation: our people. BCAA is committed to supporting our team and ensuring we attract a broad, diverse range of talent from across the province. The power of community and giving back is one of our core beliefs and a key component of why we exist. To play a leadership role in our communities, we believe our workforce should reflect the communities we serve.
Distinction and Awards
- 2021: Top Employer in BC, Canada’s Top 100 Employers
- 2020: B.C. Top Employer Award, Mediacorp
- 2019: Canadian Best Employer (Platinum), AON
- 2019: Most Trusted Brand, Gustavson Brand Trust Index, University of Victoria
- 2018: YWCA Women of Distinction Awards Outstanding Employer Award
- Several AAA Innovation Awards
Benchmarking and data collection
- Completed a diversity and inclusion survey (2019) to benchmark and get feedback from employees about where we are and future priorities. 1/3 of BCAA employees participated in the survey.
- Streamlining and integrating data gathering to ensure more robust reporting.
- Signed on to Presidents Group with a commitment to support and report on accessibility metrics.
- Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) awarded the BCAA Head Office location Gold Status, one of only 20 offices in B.C. Three other BCAA locations were awarded RHF Accessibility Certifications.
- In 2020, eligible BCAA employees will apply to get professional training for certification as Accessibility Assessors to strengthen BCAA’s ability to certify all our facilities.
Committees and training
- Formalized BCAA’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee (2019) to provide direction and feedback on our diversity, inclusion and accessibility initiatives.
Provided unconscious bias training to all BCAA leaders (2019).
- Inclusive Leadership orientation for Executive and Senior teams is planned for Spring 2020, followed by employee training on unconscious bias and creating inclusive team environments.
- In 2020, launch Conversation Circles to provide support groups for various employee groups that express interest.
Recruitment and hiring
- Completed an audit of recruitment and hiring practices (2019).
- In 2020, partner with organizations to enhance recruitment pools, hiring of persons with disabilities, and provide training to all people leaders on inclusive hiring practices.