Vancouver Airport Authority
Tamara Vrooman, President & CEO
Tamara Vrooman is a transformational leader with a strong financial background who understands the intrinsic link between a strong and sustainable economy and a healthy community.
Tamara is currently CEO of the Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR), Canada’s second busiest airport. Prior to this, Tamara was President & CEO of Vancity, Canada’s largest community credit union with $28 billion in assets, and Deputy Minister of Finance for the Province of British Columbia and as Secretary to the Treasury Board and CEO of the Public Sector Employers’ Council.
Her expertise has been sought by organizations, leaders and governments at all levels—regional, provincial, national and international—whether on the economy, social change, or environmental sustainability, and often at the intersection of all three. Most recently, Tamara was appointed Simon Fraser University’s 12th Chancellor.
Tamara chairs the board of the Canada Infrastructure Bank and the Rick Hansen Foundation, in addition to other board roles. She is the recipient of the Order of British Columbia (2019), Peter Lougheed Award for Leadership in Public Policy (2016) and BC CEO of the Year Award – Major Private Company, Business in Vancouver (2015) among many other citations.
Who We Are
The Vancouver Airport Authority is the community-based, not-for- profit organization that manages Vancouver International Airport (YVR).
Why We Are Involved
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce representative of the community and customers we serve.
Distinction and Awards
- 2021: Top Employer in BC, Canada’s Top 100 Employers
- 2020: Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
- 2020: Top BC Employer
- 2018: First Airport in the World ‘Certified Gold’, Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification
- 2017: Inclusion Champion Award for an Airport in North America, ACI-NA Awards
- 2016: Best Airport in the World, CAPA Centre for Aviation
- Best Airport in North America eight years in a row, ACI-NA Awards
- One of British Columbia’s Top Employers, ten years in a row
- Dedicated position in Human Resources for Diversity & Inclusion initiatives.
- Implemented an Inclusive Return to Work Program.
- Implemented a Work from Home Program.
- Conduct YVR Accessibility Tours.
- Developed resources kits to assist individuals traveling with autism.
- Conduct Disability Awareness Training with staff.
- Implemented a Universal Access working group.
- Employment Equity & Diversity Team.
- Piloted a Co-op Student program supporting students with disabilities.
- Conduct Annual Disability Awareness Campaigns.
- Conduct inclusive recruiting practices.
- Currently in partnerships with Spinal Cord Injury and Canucks Autism network.
- Hire co-op students that reflect YVR’s communities, customers and philosophies regarding universal access.
- Shift perceptions internally and externally about accessibility.
- Tap into a traditionally under-utilized segment of job-seekers.
- Build talent pipelines for future job vacancies at YVR.
Establish a positive example for other businesses, including airport business partners.