WHO WE ARE
Vancity is a credit union whose vision is to redefine wealth in a way that furthers the financial, social and environmental well-being of our members and their communities.
WHY WE ’RE INVOLVED
Beyond it being the right thing to do, it makes good business sense. We have experienced the positive effects on our business by hiring individuals with disabilities.
DISTINCTION AND AWARDS
- 2016: Canada’s Top 100 Employers
- 2016: UnTapped Large Business Champion
- 2015: Top 50 Socially Responsible Corporations
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES WHO SELF-IDENTIFY AS HAVING A DISABILITY
- Dedicated positions in People Solutions: Diversity & Inclusion Consultant – specializing in Disability & Inclusive Employment, Disability & Wellness Consultant -specializing in disability leave management, Diversity and Well-being Advisor and Well-being Consultant-specializing in employee well-being and mental health.
- Partnership with the Vancouver School board to provide work experience to high school students with disabilities.
- Hired eight employees for a one year contract from Focus Professional Services (FPS), an IT service company where most employees have autism.
- Our Workplace Inclusion (WIN) pilot project ran at 22 branches and was focused on job carving, a process to carve existing responsibilities from other positions to create a new one.
- Established a partnership with Partners for Mental Health and their “Not Myself Today” campaign addressing mental health in the workplace.
- Implemented the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace developed by the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
- Coach and support managers on employees’ disability accommodations.
- Web based disability resource centre for employees.
- Developed a braille booklet for the AGM including the agenda and CEO and Board remarks.
- We have shifted the internal culture to encourage disclosure and focus on ability.
- A fresh look at our recruitment and hiring practices to encourage innovation.
- High retention from WIN – 21/22 employees secured permanent employment with us.
- Partnering with SFU on a study of the WIN pilot to learn more from the experience.
- Developed partnerships with disability organizations that we can continue to build on.
- Partnership with Vancouver School Board will enter its second year in the Fall 2017.
- FPS Contract for eight employees has proven successful and contract has been extended.