WHO WE ARE
Save On Meats is a full service diner, butcher shop and commissary kitchen operating as a social enterprise in the downtown eastside of Vancouver. We are a lively, socially motivated venue and representative of the neighborhood and city we love.
WHY WE’RE INVOLVED
We believe in an inclusive community and have found success in hiring people from all walks of life. Operating in the downtown eastside, we believe our staff should reflect the community.
DISTINCTION AND AWARDS
- Certified B (Benefit) -Corporation Diner and Butcher – in the top scoring 90 percentile.
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES WHO SELF-IDENTIFY AS HAVING A DISABILITY
- Barrier-free employee hiring program working with over 20 community placement agencies including:
- YMCA – Youth Skills at Work program
- Ready, Willing and Able (Pacific Autism Family Centre)
- Disabilities Association of Vancouver
- BC Partners in Workforce Innovation
- On-going training from disability service organizations allows our organization to provide up to date, practical support for our employees.
- Safe and accessible physical work space for employees with various needs.
- Training and development program for managers to best address specific needs of employees.
- Youth practicum training program with Housing BC.
- Working commercial kitchen classroom available for training through programs like Knack, H.A.V.E Café, PHS, Atira etc.
- Approximately 70% retention of employees who identify as having a barrier to employment.
- Dramatic reduction in training and recruiting costs since diversifying hiring practices.
- Increased punctuality and ownership of the role since diversifying our hiring.
- We are Canada’s first Certified B (Benefit) Corporation Butcher and Diner. A B Corporation must create a measureable, positive impact on society.