WHO WE ARE
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is responsible for the stewardship of federal port lands in and around Vancouver, British Columbia. We facilitate Canada’s trade objectives, ensuring goods are moved safely, while protecting the environment and considering local communities.
WHY WE’RE INVOLVED
Diversity is a firmly held value within our organization at all levels. We know that a diverse culture leads to better collaboration, problem solving, and innovation.
DISTINCTION AND AWARDS
- 2016 – Employment Equity Achievement Award, in the Sector Distinction category, by the Federal Ministry of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour – for achievement in having the highest overall representation of visible minorities, women, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities in the transportation industry
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
- Accessibility Internship Program offers one individual with disabilities per year an internship to meet a business need and provide an opportunity to develop work skills and experience.
- Conducted a third-party accessibility audit of our physical space and undertook suggested improvements as recommended by the auditor.
- Held training sessions for all employees on “Respect in the Workplace” and tailored management training sessions specific to their roles within our organization.
- Employee equity and anti-harassment teams are made up of volunteers from all levels and departments within our organization.
- Human resources partners on all of our hiring, in particular to avoid unconscious bias.
- Actively pursue accommodations for individual employees to help them be more successful in their roles.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program provides counselling and mental health support for all employees.
- Partner with waterfront employers to lead diversity initiatives and to ensure diversity is kept top of mind in all of these organizations.
- Revised our Equity Plan to include specific elements around persons with disabilities, and have established targeted measures.