WHO WE ARE
Destination BC markets British Columbia to travelers around the world and works collaboratively with tourism stakeholders to develop our province as a premium destination.
WHY WE’RE INVOLVED
The tourism industry is keen to attract BC’s best talent. Our industry needs a diverse workforce that includes people of all backgrounds and abilities.
DISTINCTION AND AWARDS
- 2016: Gold Winner in Adventure Destination category, Magellan Awards
- 2015: winner of three Gold, five Silver, one Bronze Lotus Awards – honoring the creative excellence and innovation that goes into making BC generated communications the best in Canada
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
- Developed an HR action plan that specifically addresses accessibility and inclusion.
- Mental health and wellness policies which allow employees to fulfill any personal, family or caregiver responsibilities they may have.
- Flexible work arrangements for our employees, including work-from-home options.
- Employee-facilitated Lunch & Learn sessions on stress management and mindfulness.
- Internal newsletter features employees personal stories – a recent example included an employee’s experience coping with mental health challenges in her family.
- Post our roles internally and externally to ensure a diverse pool of candidates can apply.
- Job postings includes language that demonstrates our commitment to accessibility.
- Our CEO presented the topic of employment inclusivity at a tourism industry conference and raised the topic of accessibility and inclusion with other CEOs to start the discussion within organizations from other industries.
- Our consumer website has an Accessibility section that showcases tourism opportunities and information resources for people with accessibility challenges.
- Our Visitor Services Innovation Fund supports community-based initiatives that improve accessibility at visitor centres throughout the province.
- Board has approved our HR action plan, which supports accessibility in a number of ways:
- Better incorporate inclusivity and diversity in our practices related to recruitment, embracing new ideas, providing flexible work options, and supporting individual employee learning.
- Increase awareness of health and wellness resources and benefits available to employees.