Events September: Disability Employment Month in BC
September is a time to celebrate and recognize inclusive employers and the important contribution people with disabilities make in the workplace.
5 Easy Tips to Being a More Inclusive Employer
- Talk to your staff about the benefits of inclusive hiring and why it makes good business sense.
- Celebrate the diversity of your existing team through a lunch and learn or group outing.
- Talk to other organizations – like members of the Presidents Group – who are also on this journey and learn from their experiences.
- Review your recruitment practices – what barriers might exist for someone trying to apply?
- Check out what some of our Presidents Group members have done:
What Are Other Employers Doing in September?
- Vancity is hosting a book club on the topic of disabilities for employees.
- Gabi & Jules Bakery is connecting with other small businesses to have a conversation about inclusive employment.
- The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority will feature intranet stories on the topic of people with disabilities in the workplace.
- Destination BC is engaging their employees by having quizzes related to content on accessibleemployers.ca
- The BC Tech Association is following @AccessEmployers on Twitter and re-tweeting relevant content to spread awareness within their network.
What is your organization doing to build diversity and inclusion?
Events to Attend
The Presidents Group partnered with the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade and BCWIN on an event called Talent Management: Succeeding with Diversity on Thursday, September 21, 2017 from 7:30am – 12:30pm.
The keynote speaker was Randy Lewis, Former Senior Vice President of Walgreens.
Panelists included Presidents Group members:
– Craig Richmond, President & CEO of YVR
– Tamara Vrooman, President & CEO of Vancity
– Lisa Beecroft, Owner of Gabi & Jules Bakery
– Wendy Lisogar-Cocchia, CEO of Century Plaza Hotel & Absolute Spa Group
– Chris Hatton, COO of HSBC
– Kirsten Sutton, Managing Director at SAP Labs Canada
– Dan Bregg, President, Buy Low Foods
The topics covered were the following:
– The Economic Benefits of Inclusive Hiring
– Having Uncomfortable Conversations that Build Inclusive Cultures
– How Do You Find, Recruit and Retain Diverse Talent?
– Your Company’s Competitive Advantage