Events October: Events to Attend
The Future Proof Summit: October 16 – 20
The Future Proof Summit is a free online event designed for the forward-thinking HR or Change Management professional that is looking to understand, develop, and share best practices when it comes to people in the workplace. This five-day virtual summit will feature leaders from across industry and sector from both Canada and the United States that will talk about key focus points in today’s world of work. The conference will run from October 16 – 20 and attendees can come and go as they please.
Topics Will Include:
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Innovative and Agile Cultures
- Workplace Wellness and Presence
- Next Gen Management and Engagement
- HR Technology
Free Training Event on Inclusive Hiring: October 24
Join us for the free event: Practical Steps to Recruit and Retain an Inclusive Workforce. It will take place on October 24th from 9am to 4pm at the Century Plaza Hotel, 1015 Burrard Street, Vancouver.
This event is designed for Operation, Hiring or Diversity & Inclusion Managers of larger organizations, to take a deeper dive into how to better hire, engage and retain individuals with disabilities.
Workshop topics include:
- Business Value of Inclusion – Why inclusive workplace cultures matter?
- What is Impacting Workforce Shortages in 2017 and Beyond (Labour Market Outlook)
- Workplace Adjustments and Duty to Accommodate – What is reasonable accommodation?
- Unconscious Bias – What are the unintended barriers in my workplace?
- Neuro Diverse Talent – Autism in the Workplace
- Candidates and Employees Living with Mental Health Conditions
- Practical Day to Day, Inclusive and Innovative Employment Practices
- What’s Working for Business – What are leading employers doing that I can learn from?
Lunch is provided & space is limited, please register by October 14th.
Dolphin Mentoring Day: October 25
We are very excited to let businesses in BC know about Dolphin Disabilities Mentoring Day, which is looking to soft launch in Vancouver on October 25th.
About Dolphin Disabilities Mentoring Day (DMD):
Dolphin DMD was founded in 2011 based on their insights, experience and belief that all businesses can benefit from employing people with disabilities. DMD was founded to facilitate an experiential learning opportunity for persons with disabilities and a beneficial mentoring experience for mentors. DMD is a strategic mechanism to improve diversity and inclusion.
DMD began in the Waterloo region of Ontario, and has grown to include other cities in Ontario, with plans to expand to other provinces.
Goals of Disabilities Mentoring Day:
- To provide mentees access to workplace contacts, environments, skills & HR processes
- To increase confidence among students and jobseekers with disabilities,
- To enhance internship, co-operative education and employment opportunities for persons with disabilities,
- To dispel employers fears about hiring people with disabilities and promote disability confidence
- To give employers an opportunity to benchmark themselves as being accessible to what is a largely untapped pool of talent as well as a massive consumer market.
Mentee Roles Available for Vancouver Soft Launch:
- Customer Service Relations Manager – Oversee projects
- Coordinator, Community Engagement
- Regional District Manager
- Retail Food Services Manager
If you want to learn more, please visit www.disabilitiesmentoringday.ca. If you know someone who would fit any of these roles, you can encourage them to register as a mentee for the event. Follow Disabilities Mentoring Day on Twitter and Facebook.