Events December: Events to Attend
Celebrating International Day for Persons with Disabilities
December 3rd is International Day for Persons with Disabilities. In preparation of this important day, here are some suggestions on how you and your team can celebrate during that week and recognize the important contribution people with disabilities make in the workplace.
I have 5 minutes: Post on Social Media
- Follow @AccessEmployers on Twitter or Instagram and re-tweet relevant content to spread awareness in your network.
I have 30 minutes: Learn from a Lived Experience
- If there is a member of your team who has disclosed they or someone they know has a disability, consider asking them to share their perspectives and experiences.
- If no one from your organization has disclosed having a disability, read a story from the Accessible Employers and have a discussion around how your organization can be more inclusive.
I have 1 hour: Lunch and Learn
- Gather your team for a lunch and learn. Watch a Ted Talk or a video from the Accessible Employers site and discuss any key takeaways.
I have half a day: Convene a Conversation
- Invite other organizations in your sector or area to come together over a brown bag lunch and facilitate a conversation around inclusive hiring. Sample questions:
- What are your biggest challenges in attracting talent today?
- How do you currently source talent?
- Do you work with any third party recruiters or agencies to help you in your search?
- What are your biggest challenges in retaining talent?
- Have you tried to target hiring from specific groups (ie. Indigenous people, ethnic minorities, women, persons with disabilities)?
- Specifically for persons with disabilities, if you have tried targeting hiring from this group, what has been your experience? Successes? Challenges? Barriers?
- If you were successful, and hired an individual with a disability, what has been your experience? Successes? Challenges?
PEBcelebrates UN’s International Day of Persons with Disabilities
Friday, December 1, 2017 Project EveryBODY will be celebrating Vancouver’s annual celebration of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities at the Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre located in Vancouver. It’s Vancouver’s FREE community celebration at the Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre in honour of the United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities. Join us for an art show and sale, live music, performances, workshops, and much more.
When: Fri, 1 December 2017
1:00 PM – 6:00 PM PST
Where: Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre
181 Roundhouse Mews