Events November: Events to Attend
Attracting the Best and Brightest Talent: November 24
The Surrey Board of Trade will be hosting the latest in their Surrey Hot Topic Series – Millennials: Attracting the Best and Brightest Talent.
Millennials are Canada’s largest workforce demographic, ahead of baby boomers and General Xers. Surrey is now the home to the largest concentration of millennials, accounting for 25% of the region’s youth population, aged 18 to 35. What does Surrey have to offer to assist businesses to attract and retain young talent? Once here, what can we do to encourage them to stay, grow and succeed in Surrey? Bring your ideas and contribute to an ongoing dialogue to raise Surrey’s brand.
Guildford Golf & Country Club, 7929 152 Street, Surrey
Friday, November 24, 2017
7:30 a.m. registration; 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. program
Hear from panelists:
- Tracey Arnish – Chief People Officer, Coast Capital Savings
- Dan Bregg – President, Buy-Low Foods (Presidents Group Member)
- Rocky Ozaki – Vice-President, Community, BC Tech Association (Presidents Group Member)
- Craig Crawford – Vice President, Operations, BC Housing
- Bill Roche – Founder and President, PowerPlay Young Entrepreneurs
Celebrating International Day for Persons with Disabilities
December 3rd is International Day for Persons with Disabilities. In preparation of this important day, here are some suggestions on how you and your team can celebrate during that week and recognize the important contribution people with disabilities make in the workplace.
I have 5 minutes: Post on Social Media
- Follow @AccessEmployers on Twitter or Instagram and re-tweet relevant content to spread awareness in your network.
I have 30 minutes: Learn from a Lived Experience
- If there is a member of your team who has disclosed they or someone they know has a disability, consider asking them to share their perspectives and experiences.
- If no one from your organization has disclosed having a disability, read a story from the Accessible Employers and have a discussion around how your organization can be more inclusive.
I have 1 hour: Lunch and Learn
- Gather your team for a lunch and learn. Watch a Ted Talk or a video from the Accessible Employers site and discuss any key takeaways.
I have half a day: Convene a Conversation
- Invite other organizations in your sector or area to come together over a brown bag lunch and facilitate a conversation around inclusive hiring. Sample questions:
- What are your biggest challenges in attracting talent today?
- How do you currently source talent?
- Do you work with any third party recruiters or agencies to help you in your search?
- What are your biggest challenges in retaining talent?
- Have you tried to target hiring from specific groups (ie. Indigenous people, ethnic minorities, women, persons with disabilities)?
- Specifically for persons with disabilities, if you have tried targeting hiring from this group, what has been your experience? Successes? Challenges? Barriers?
- If you were successful, and hired an individual with a disability, what has been your experience? Successes? Challenges?
- Disability Employment Month in BC (September 2017)
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month (October 2017)