home Business Case
People with disabilities represent an important talent pool that is largely untapped.
There are many benefits to hiring people with disabilities including:
- Improved Productivity 3 – Research shows that diverse and inclusive workplaces are:
- 2x more likely to meet or exceed financial targets.
- 6x more likely to be innovative.
- 6x more likely to effectively anticipate change.
- People with Disabilities Make Great Employees 4 – Among employees with disabilities:
- Staff retention was 72% higher.
- 86% had average or better attendance.
- 90% performed equal or better than their coworkers without disabilities.
- Expanded Consumer Reach
For companies interested in gaining a competitive advantage, the business case for hiring people with disabilities is important to know. Hiring inclusively is just good for business.
- BC Government. (2016) B.C. Labour Market Outlook shows steady economic growth in 2025
- Statistics Canada. (2016) Canadian Survey on Disability 2012
- PR Newswire. (2017) New Deloitte Research Identifies Keys to Creating Fair and Inclusive Organizations
- Deloitte. (2017) The road to inclusion: Integrating people with disabilities into the workplace.
- Donovan, R. (2016) Return on Disability: Translate Different Into Value, 2016 Annual Report: The Global Economics of Disability
- BC Government. (2016) September is Disability Employment Month in B.C.
In addition to these statistics, a report conducted by the Conference Board of Canada entitled “The Business Case to Build Physically Accessible Environments” was released in February 2018 and contains some compelling findings showing how improved accessibility is an economic imperative.